Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is one of ten faculties at Stellenbosch University, which offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications
in Arts (Drama; Music and Visual Arts), Languages (African Languages; Afrikaans and Dutch; Ancient Studies; English; General Linguistics, and Modern Foreign Languages), and Social Sciences (Geography and Environmental Studies; History; Information Science; Journalism; Philosophy; Political Science; Psychology; Social Work; and Sociology and Social Anthropology). Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
The Gerda Henkel Foundation was established by Lisa Maskell in memory of her mother, Gerda Henkel. The Foundation was formed as a private, non-profit grant-making organization in 1976, with the goal of promoting the study of science at universities and research institutes, by supporting projects within the humanities field. Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
Since 2014, the Foundation has been providing scholars from sub-Saharan African countries with the support to continue studies within humanities. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Stellenbosch University is pleased to announce, in partnership with the Gerda Henkel Foundation, a limited number of full-time scholarships for Ph.D. studies. Scholarships are available for research projects in the Historical Humanities.
• Applicants from sub-Saharan African countries. Priority will be given to qualifying candidates from PANGeA partner institutions;
• Applicants should have obtained 70% in the final year of the previous completed degree; • Applicants are expected to provide a sample of their writing with their application: o MA thesis for PhD applicants o Any published academic articles related to your application. Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
• At the date of application, applicants must not be older than 35 to apply for a PhD scholarship;
• Applicants must submit an application to study at Stellenbosch University in addition to this scholarship application. Applicants are not required to be registered or to have a supervisor. They should, however, inform themselves regarding the availability of suitable supervisors in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in their particular field of research, before submitting an application.
• An existing record of publications;
• Awards or grants received;
• Relevant professional or artistic experience;
• The ability to use any language(s) in addition to English for academic purposes.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND REQUIREMENTS
• Official application form;
• A motivation letter (not longer than 600 words);
• A pre-proposal (or research idea) of no more than 500 words describing your proposed research question and conceptualization on any of the three project themes. You should discuss the unique contribution your research will make to the existing body of knowledge in this field of study, the problem statement, the methodology / theoretical framework / philosophical underpinnings you intend to use and the feasibility of your study. Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
• A certified copy of your full academic transcript;
• A certified copy of your MA degree certificate – or foreign equivalent (if you have completed the qualification but have not yet obtained the certificate, official proof from the institution concerned that the degree will be delivered). Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
• A certified copy of your South African ID or passport (for international students).
Up to 420 000 ZAR (PhD) over three years.
You must be studying in one of the following countries:
Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Sudan
30 August 2022
Number of Awards
To be confirmed.
You must be studying one of the following:
Cultural Studies, History, Languages/Linguistics, Liberal Arts/Humanities, Political Science, Journalism, Performing Arts, Philosophy and Sociology. Post Graduate PANGeA Scholarships South Africa
For more scholarships